Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Hooray. My two target piano skills have finally begun to materialize.

1) I can now improvise flexibly. It's not just set fingering exercises in the chords I'm playing anymore. I can integrate that with improvised tunes. I gues the goal is to ultimately be as good with the piano as I am with my own voice. That'll still take some time, as the piano involves chords, but I'm getting there.

2) Playing music fast enough to make it mostly coherent on the first read. Of course, this is far from sight reading, but I think I've turned the corner on this two.

What's weird is that these gains have come at a time when I haven't been practicing very intensely at all. Once or twice a week, 20 minutes or so at a time.

So there is some hope that I'll eventually get around to becoming a master pipe organist in my spare time. Of course, then I'll need to get a pipe organ, but that's a comparatively minor problem. Maybe I'll steal one? Sneak into a church and stuff the full pipe organ into my pocket?

Like that far side cartoon. If you know the one I mean, you get 2 cultural literacy points.

1 Comments:

Blogger Raken said...

I am fairly certain that I get that Farside reference - I believe I own the book that it's in, but I'm too tired to look it up. The pipe organ at Holy Apostles had an organ that was basically in a very large box, built by JL van den Heuvel.

I came across the fact that you'd updated your blog by accident. I couldn't remember the phrase for a discussion on a Torah reading but remembered you had the word in an entry, and after finding "d'var Torah" was surprised to see new entries.

-Rachel

6:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Easy-Hits.com will boost your web site traffic by 50%. Starting tomorrow. For as long as you like. No purchase necessary. 100% totally free. No kidding! easy-hits.com

Search For It ontheweb.com

Search For It ontheweb.co.uk